Have you been wondering,
“How many years is a decade?”Okay, we get it.
So, let’s explore the word from renowned encyclopedias and dictionaries.
Decade contains a greek word called dekas which means a group of ten.
Therefore decade means a group of ten years.
which means a group of ten. Decades may describe any ten-year period, such as those of a person’s life, or refer to specific groupings of calendar years.
Usage of Decade :
Any period of ten years is a “decade”. For example, the statement that “during his last decade,
Mozart explored chromatic harmony to a degree rare at the time” merely refers to the last ten years of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s life without regard to which calendar years are encompassed.
Also, ‘the first decade’ of a person’s life begins on the day of their birth and ends at the end of their 10th year of life when they have their 10th birthday;
the second decade of life starts with their 11th year of life (during which one is typically still referred to as being “10”) and ends at the end of their 20th year of life, on their 20th birthday;
similarly, the third decade of life, when one is in one’s twenties or 20s, starts with the 21st year of life, and so on, with subsequent decades of life similarly described by referencing the tens digit of one’s age.
decade: noun UK /ˈdek.eɪd/ /dekˈeɪd/
a period of ten years, especially a period such as 2010 to 2019 Examples
Example from Cambridge Dictionary :
- Air traffic has increased 30% in the last decade.
- They predict that a large earthquake will strike the east coast before the end of the decade.
- Environmental awareness has increased dramatically over the past decade.
- Her acting career spanned almost six decades.
- India attained independence in 1947, after decades of struggle.
noun a period of ten years: the three decades from 1776 to 1806.
A period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero: the decade of the 1980s.a group, set, or series of ten.How many years is a decade?
1.a period of ten years.”he taught at the university for nearly a decade”
2.each of the five divisions of each chapter of the rosary.”a local priest led the mourners in a decade of the rosary”
3.a range of electrical resistances, frequencies, or other quantities spanning from one to ten times a base value.”power per decade of frequency”
- a period of ten years, especially a continuous period, such as 1910–1919 or 2000–2009
- the early decades of the nineteenth century
- The nineties were a decade of rapid advances.
- a career spanning five decades
- over a decade He’s changed a lot over the past decade.
- for decades The war may be short but the environmental impacts could last for decades.Extra Examples
- Now entering her fourth decade, the singer is living alone in New York.
- This decade began badly for us.
- almost a full decade of unparalleled economic growth
Hopefully, you have got the answer to ” How many years is a decade?”
You can check this post for best digital marketing blog : https://tech-tweet.com/best-blog-for-digital-marketing/
- 15 best smartphone for under 300 $ : best phones under 300 unlocked
- 12 best laptop for gaming under 800 : best gaming laptop for under 800 dollars
- 15 best smartwatch for battery life : best smartwatch with long battery life
- 16 Best Smartwatch for runner : the best smartwatch for running
- 40 best apps on iPhone: the best apps for iPhone ever